Friday, August 16, 2019

The SAQA Benefit Auction is coming up next month!

I’m always happy to make a small 12 x 12 inch quilt for the SAQA Auction. This year I went through years of floral tographs and found 
cactus orchid , an epiphyllym to those botanically inclined, that sat in a pot resting in the notch of the jacaranda tree off our Southern California patio. I had featured these in a larger quilt years ago. They are the remains of several similar  plants that we inherited from my husband’s grandfather over 30 years ago. Hence the title. 

I manipulated the photo in Photoshop for more saturated color and a watercolor effect and sent it off to Spoonflower to be printed on cotton fabric. 
I added some extra paint and shadow when it came back, thread painted and quilted it. I always respond first to color and I liked the very bright pink juxtaposed with the gray and blue of the tree bark. 

The last image is the original photo that I printed on the label, the image above is the final quilt. 

Hoping it will find a forever home during the auction which starts September 13th. 







No comments:

Post a Comment