Saturday, November 4, 2017

Quilt Festival Houston 2017!


So happy to be in Houston, TX again for International Quilt Festival. It’s a lovely feeling to be standing
in freont of your own quilt -here my East/West - on the floor amid this gathering  of the best quilts in the country!p
Traditional quilts, art quilts, contemporary, modern -they are all here in abundance in the 
World of Beauty IQA Judged Show. And then the Special Exhibits from all around the world bring 
more of the best of the best to Houston.



A highlight for me was seeing all of the Cherrywood Van Gogh Challenge jquilts displayed together for
the first time. Here I am with my “Starry” and below are shots of the exhibit all hung together on 
A back wall of the exhibit space. A symphony of art in shades of blues and provencale influenced yellows. 
The exhibit got a lot of attention and the newly published book sold out by the second day of the show!






Meeting up with friends is always a happy part of the Houston experience. 



Three happy travelers -Robin, Roberta and myself in a  serendipitous reunion of our January trip to Japan on a textile
 tour with Susan Ball Faeder’s Quilters Express to Japan. Alison was also in Houston, but didn’t make it into the selfie!



And fellow artist and Fiber Fanatic member Sherry Kleinman was at the show with her
Daughter from New York. Both Sherry’s pieces in the World Of Beauty competition were representations 
of her grandchildren.

           Maria Shell who visited and taught at my quilt guild Westside Quilters in LA just last week won a  third lace prize in the abstract category! We celebrated with her over dinner on Thursday night!
               





Viewing the all the quilts and the over 1100 vendors is quite a proposition. I made it to half the vendors, 
but saw all the quilts on display. I was hampered slightly by a small accident  stepping unexpectantly off a
curb and severely wrenching my knee on the evening of my third day which resulted in a lot of ice packs 
and  ibuprofen in our very lovely room at the Four Seasons. 
So I missed my Saturday class and some vendors, but I’d spent  more than enough money, anyway!



Home to LA tomorrow... can’t wait for next time!

Check out more blogs at Off The Wall Fridays 

No comments:

Post a Comment