Wednesday, July 15, 2009

June/ July in Southern California


Well, June flew by in a flash. I was very busy working on the Santa Monica Quilt Guild Quilt Show the early and middle of the month and took the rest of the month to recuperate. The show was very successful keeping in mind the state of the economy and will allow the Guild to bring a wonderful group of nationally known professional teachers to meetings and workshops over the next two years. The show looked fabulous - it was beautifully hung in the light and airy gymnasium at Loyola Marymount University. \ The quality of quilts exhibited by Guild Members was top notch and our featured quilter Sherry Kleinman provided a stellar display of her art quilts. As Treasurer and Awards and Prizes chair I was kept very busy....

Speaking of awards I was thrilled and more than a little embarrassed to learn that my quilt "Stairway to Heaven" (see its photo in a post below0 won three awards - Best Machine Quilting, Best use of Color and 2nd place Viewers' Choice. Another quilt "Alright, Mr. Demille, I'm ready for my Close-up" won Best Use of Embellishment. I was humbled.....

The good news continued after the show - I was thrilled and surprised to receive a fat envelope from Houston this year - "Stairway to Heaven" will be going there very soon as a finalist in "Quilts: A World of Beauty". I only wish I could get to Houston in October to see it hanging in all that illustrious company, but alas, it is not in the cards this year. Perhaps someone will snap a few photos of it for me...

I'm looking ahead to next week's International Quilt Festival at Long Beach. I've signed up for several classes including one with David Taylor and will be with quilting friends. Two of my quilts will be shown there which will be very exciting. "Alright Mr. Demille..." is in Silver Screen II and "Night Flight" is travelling with "Celebrate Spring" which debuted at Chicago in April.

In my "real" world of business all is pretty depressing right now, but in my quilting world everything is blooming!

No comments:

Post a Comment